Shin Splints or Stress Fracture

Patient : I am a runner and am experiencing pain in my right leg ( specifically the shin) it may be shin splints but I am concerned that it also may be a stress fracture?
Symptoms:  Pain in the right shin
pain isn't necessarily General but not pinpointed
pain feel as if it radiates throughout leg
pain decreases when I run
pain increases after I run/ when I'm not running
Doctor :   Hello, thanks for contacting There is all possibility that you may have suffered a stress fracture while running as you are an athlete. So the best way would be to get an X-RAY lower limb done to identify the cause and if required a splint or a cast may be applied for 3 weeks. You may visit your physician for a detailed examination first. I hope i have answered your query in detail. wishing you good health, regards

Related Q&A

Q: Hello, Last March I sustained a hand injury. A line under high tention (a rope) snapped and hit the back of my ri...

Q: Hi, I am a 44 year old female. I have been exercising regularly for at least 15 years, including running 2-3 days a w...

Q: I broken my ribs 5 years ago (dec 2012). 4 ribs is not ok. Can they still be operated?

Q: I've been having some chronic neck pain so I went to the chiropractor she took x-rays and when she looked at the x-ra...

Q: Hello, I had fallen down a flight of stairs. Later when I went to pass a stool. I notice blood in my stool. I beli...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon