Shingles and child birth

Patient

Q: I got shingles, and my wifes is 8 month pregnant, if everything goes away by the time she is supposed to give birth, will i'll be allowed to be present at the birth of my first child? If she gives birth earlier, would i'll be allowed at the birthing center at all. Do i need to move out of a house for few days, untill i'm sure the symptoms are all gone????

Doctor

A:   You can be present during and after the birth. However one still would need to be careful as it is contagious. I would advice you to avoid contact with the baby till the lesions have healed and maintain good sanitation with hand hygiene etc. I hope this helps.