Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Shingles and Medrol Dose Pack

Shingles and Medrol Dose Pack

Patient: Approximately 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with Shingles. I was immediately put on Acyclovir and the rash begin to disappear. However, the pain is still very prevalent. I was told by a nurse that I should be put on a Medrol Dose Pack. My doctor never mentioned this to me and I’m wondering if this is true and if so, will it do more harm than good? I’m only taking Advil for the pain because the pain medication I was given makes me feel terrible and I can’t work while taking it.I appreciate your assistance.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Medrol dosepak contains methylprednisolone, is a steroidal antiinflammatory medication. It works by decreasing the immune systems response to an infection such as shingles, thereby assisting in reducing its symptoms, such as your pain. This is commonly prescribed to treat the pain associated with shingles and has good outcomes in doing so. It would not be contraindicated in the treatment of your pain for a short duration.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com