Shingles and numbness

Patient : Is numbness in a foot normal when you have had Shingles on the foot and the rash is gone?
Symptoms:  Pain, swelling, tingling and numbness of the foot
Doctor :   Thank you for contacting ask the doctor. Shingles is a viral infection that causes a painful rash and is usually distri buted along the dermatomes ( nerves). There is usually some varicella doster virus that remains dormant (inactive) in the nerves sometimes throughout the life span and sometimes may flare up as painful rashes (reactivated). Numbness and pain after the shingles attack is called as post herpetic neuralgia. This occurs because of the damage of the nerves involved in the reactivation of the virus. This could most probably be postherpetic neuralgia. I recommend a visit to the physician if you notice pain.this is extremely essential. This could be the beginning of shingles again. Management would be mainly symptomatic. You may be given steroids, antidepressants , opiod painkillers depending on the severity of the symptoms. Hope this information was useful.