Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Shingles and one year old not immunized

Shingles and one year old not immunized

Patient: My husband is being treated for shingles. My question..our granddaughter is one year old and not immunized. We are going to visit her in 5 weeks. Is there any risk to our granddaughter?

Doctor: I do understand your concern. Shingles cannot be passed from one person to another. However, the virus that causes shing les, the varicella zoster virus, can be spread from a person with active shingles to a person who has never had chickenpox. In such cases, the person exposed to the virus might develop chickenpox, but they would not develop shingles. The virus is spread through direct contact with fluid from the rash blisters, not through sneezing, coughing or casual contact. A person with shingles is contagious when the rash is in blister phase. Once the rash has developed crusts, the person is no longer contagious. To minimize the risk to transmission, your husband has to follow certain precautions, they are :Keep the shingles rash covered always.Do not touch or scratch the rash.Wash your hands frequently.And avoid contact with grand-daughter until rash has developed crusts.