Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Shingles began 12/30 treatment began 12/31 valtrex 1gm 3 times a day.

Shingles began 12/30 treatment began 12/31 valtrex 1gm 3 times a day.

Patient: Shingles began 12/30 treatment began 12/31 valtrex 1gm 3 times a day. prednisone 60my daily x 3days tapering ended 1/6/2016. C2 sensory nerve involved on right. Began behind Right ear. All seemed to be improving.Lesions behind ear are tender, swollen and may have started to “leak”. Increased itchinessand tenderness on scalp.What can I do ?

Symptoms: Pruritis, neuralgia, sores, flu-like symptoms, swelling

Doctor: Hi.Thanks for your query.Noted your history of Shingles of C2 on right side began on 12/30, Valtrexz and Predni st arted and continued as you have mentioned – seems to be improving – Also noted the medication history and the symptoms like pruritus, neuralgia, sores, flu like and swelling.Lesions behind ear are tender, swollen and may have started to “leak”. Increased itchiness and tenderness on scalp. Wants to know what next to be done:I would advise you the following:- Since you are in the age group of 46-55 years of age, it is possible that the recovery be slow and the Neuralgia would take more time.- Please continue your medicines as you have noted, please discuss with your treating Doctor about hte role and prescription about Amitriptyline/ Tegretol (carbamazepine) or Gabapentine as these medicine are the most helpful to control the nerualgia- This is more than 10 days and the scabs will have been forming soon. Applying cold compresses on affected area helps too.I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Patient: do you suggest using topical antibiotic on scalp behind ear? Bacitracin?
What is best way to wash my entire head without spreading virus? Do I need to do infected
area separately?
Any suggestion for those who wear eyeglasses? Very irritating

Doctor: You may please use povidone iodine solution if need be, do not use any antibiotic ointments at the moment.
You get Povidone iodine scrub solution for washing hair/scalp without spreading the virus.
Not really, as these do not spread like the way other viruses can spread.
I can understand the irritation one can have by using the eyeglasses, You may have to do without them when not in need or get the frame loosened up and ask the people who make them any idea that an help in such a situation.