SHINGLES CONTAGIOUS ON SURFACES?

Patient

Q: Can shingles be transmitted on surfaces touched by contagious person? Is a person who has never had Chickenpox, more likely to get the virus? If so how?

Symptoms:  Mother has seeping shingles on forehead. Has been to hospital and diagnosed with shingles. She is 90.
Doctor

A:   Hello. Welcome to ask the doctor.

The chances of spread of the virus from shingles are very less as the virus resides in nerves. Still there are chances of spread in the initial period as virus travels down from nerves to the skin to produce lesions.
In a person who never had chicken pox, will get chicken pox on coming in contact with then person infected with shingles.

I hope it helps.
Take care.