Shingles in the past and have since recovered

Patient: I have had Shingles in the past and have since recovered. My girlfriend has been exposed to children who perhaps have chicken pox. What are the chances that my contact with her could trigger another Shingles episode?

Doctor: I understand your concern about shingles recurrence. The chances for you to get shingles because your girlfriend was exp osed to chicken pox are the same as if she was not exposed at all.Anyone who’s had chickenpox may develop shingles. After you recover from chickenpox, the virus can enter your nervous system and lie hidden for years. Eventually, it may reactivate and travel along nerve pathways to your skin producing shingles.Recurrence may be due to lowered immunity and as other infections that interfere as you grow older. Shingles is more common in older adults and in people who have weak immune systems.