Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Shingles pain and itching on my back

Shingles pain and itching on my back

Patient: I have had shingles on my back for about six months now i have tried shingle cream, silver get nothing is working. it itches like crazy pleas help

Symptoms: Back aches severely bad itching no other symptoms

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is very peculiar to have a shingles outbreak for this long. A shingles rash outbreak can usually last for up to 4 weeks. The pain associated with shingles in some rare cases can remain for many months to years on end, especially if sensory nerve damage to the affected are has occurred. This rash you are experiencing may in fact not be due to shingles but may be another inflammatory skin infection caused by fungus, bacteria, or even allergic reaction. We are sorry that we cannot offer a more definitive diagnosis but it is in our expert opinion that this get evaluated by a dermatologist to determine if you need to be treated with topical antiinflammatory creams, or require specific antifungal or antibiotic medication to treat this rash.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com

Patient: i have seen a dr they gave me nothing or it also saw a