Shingles that has progressed for 17 months and won't go away

Patient

Q: My adult son has been suffering for 17 months with what started out as Shingles and has never gone away. He has been to many doctors and tried many treatments and still nothing. His right arm down to the thumb is so sensitive that he can't wear any long sleeve shirt or coat touching the arm. He's been to the hospital for injections to quiet the nerve, but after several months quit because it didn't work. No salves, chinese herbals, or outer treatments work. I find it hard to believe that no one seems to be able to help him and yet he's the only one I see wearing a down vest outside in the winter because nothing can touch his arm. He has also been diagnosed with MS and is on medication for that, and we are aware that the healing time could be a result of the auto-immune, but is there no hope for healing this ever? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. No one should have to live with this.

Symptoms:  Pain in right arm down to the thumb. Sensitive to touch. started out itchy and any attempt to scratch causes worse pain.
Doctor