Shingles Vaccine and Chicken pox exposure

Patient

Q: I am 63 and had a mild childhood case of chicken pox. I f I have been exposed to my grandchildren with chicken pox is it too late to get the vaccine to prevent shingles?

Doctor

A:   Since you have had Chicken pox during childhood and are over 60 years of age you can still get the Shingles vaccine irrespective of having exposed to your grandchildren who had chicken pox. There are some contraindications to the vaccine however and be sure to discuss with your health care professional regarding the same. All the best!