Shingles Vacine

Q: I have been diagnosed with shingles. Would it be beneficial for me to get the shingles vacine after I recover.

A:   Shingles is a condition caused by the varicella zoster virus which also causes chickenpox. In fact, after you've had chickenpox, the virus lies inactive in nerve tissue near your spinal cord and brain. Years later, the virus may reactivate as shingles.
This condition is characterized by a painful rash. It can occur anywhere on your body but most often appears as a band of blisters in your back and your chest. Usually the episode lasts a couple of weeks and heals on its own. Antiviral medications will help you accelerate the recovery and the shingles vaccine certainly will reduce the course and severity of the disease and reduce your risk of post herpetic neuralgia. It is recommended whether or not they have had shingles previously, however it is not 100% effective and shingles might recur. I hope I cleared your doubt.