Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Shiny scars after shaving

Shiny scars after shaving

Patient: Odd question, and a bit embarrassing. Recently, I shaved my pubic hair around and on my penis, and the next day, a shiny and bumpy (what appears to be) scar showed up. I didn’t cut myself or anything in the process, and have never encountered this before. Is this something normal that will go away or something permanent? If it is permanent, is there any way to reduce the visibility?

Symptoms: Odd Scarring

Doctor: HiThank you for the question.They are most likely razor bumps or ingrown hairs. The difference is razor bumps are where the hair hasn’t come through the follicle yet, and ingrown hairs are where the hair decides it doesn’t want to grow up through the follicle the way it’s supposed to and tends to become infected. When you must shave you pubic area, use an anti-bacterial soap and brand new razor to wash and shave with, make sure the water isn’t warmer than body temperature, try not to shave against the grain (skin may not be as smooth after but less irritated), and make sure you wear only cotton boxers or briefs because they breathe better.The bumps will go away after a few days. If they do not, get examined by a Dermatologist.I hope this will help you. Have a nice day.