Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Shoud I test for Pre-Diabetes?

Shoud I test for Pre-Diabetes?

Patient: Hello, I am starting to become concerned about whether I am developing pre-diabetes after having researched many of the symptoms. I realize my risk is very low, but taken as a whole, my symptoms might be worth investigating: My extremities become ice cold/numb very quickly when sitting–I’m just cold at work even when temperature is at 85. My vision is becoming blurrier over the last 3-5 years, but my eye doctor doesn’t recommend any stronger lenses than my current level, as they ought to be satisfactory for 20/20 vision and anything over would be too strong. My strength/alertness/energy levels surge and fall dramatically, leaving me in states of lethargy or jitters depending on the time of day and/or how much I’ve eaten. I’m desperately thirsty all the time. Often hungry too. My skin is increasingly dry/rashy/irritable over the years. I spend many hours sitting at work or commuting in the car, or working on the computer at home, up to 13 hours a day. The good news is that other than that, I try to exercise as much as possible in the remaining time, with 30-60 mins. of aerobic exercise every day (However, when active it is also common that I see stars, experience shortness of breath, or dizziness). I also try to eat as healthy as possible, eating a lot of dark leafy greens, fruits, lean fish, regular vitamins, and otherwise balanced diet. I am a relatively healthy 31-year old male, 6’1″ and weigh 175 lbs., so I am not overweight, although I could work at toning more! Would it be worth it to take a hyperglycemia test or some other diagnostic blood test, or am I worrying about nothing? Thank you for your expert opinion.

Symptoms: dizziness, coldness, numbness, lethargy, thirst, blurred vision, dry skin

Doctor: HiGreetingsI think you need to go for blood sugar levels and thyroid function testsyour features are not very spec ific to advice you but , it is a good idea to rule out diabetes or any thyroid disease.take care