Should a neurologist be consulted if I have a herniated disc

Patient: Should a neurologist be consulted if I have a herniated disc at L5 s1…. I have tingling pains in knees and feet constantly. my hands and fingers have also started after my last bone scan in 2013. My doctors have gone a little off track since finding this herniated disc which I may add has not yet been fixed and my symptoms are worsening but they have moved away from that and are now throwing words like Ellers Denners syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia and reinoids…. what should I do?

Doctor: HelloWelcome to Ask The Doctor.You seem to be suffering from Prolapsed Intervertebral Disc Compression that is L5- S1 Radiculopathy.I would advise you to get following:1. Serum Calcium and Vitamin D3 levels2. ESR, CRP, Rheumatoid factor.For pain, I advise following:1. A combination of Pregabalin and Methylcobalamin2. To do hot fomentation of the affected area.3. To apply Diclofenac ointment locally.4. To get physiotherapy done particularly Ultrasonic heat massage.5. SSRI like Duloxetine helps in the long term.But if the compression is very severe, causing motor weakness, tingling on any side of the body then surgical intervention would be required.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy.