Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Should a person who has bad diarrhea continue to take stool softeners

Should a person who has bad diarrhea continue to take stool softeners

Patient: Should a person who has bad diarrhea continue to take stool softners. My mom has had diarrhea for a week and was taking stool softners prior as a daily precaution.

Doctor: Hi.Thanks for your query.Read and understood the history that your Mother is taking the stool softener as a precau tion and now she has bad diarrhea for a week.The person who has bad diarrhea should stop the stool softener.Since your Mother is suffering from diarrhea for a week, she need a medical attendance for clinical evaluation, actual physical examination by a Doctor to know the depth of the problem. If stopping the stool softener stop the diarrhea, nothing more needs to be done.If the loose stool continue, your mother may need a few tests of blood, urine and stool, ultrasonography and a course of antibiotics, probiotics, activated charcoal tablets and symptomatic and supportive treatment as may be necessary.She will be fine within 5 days.If the problem still continues, it will be better to take a consultation of a Gastroenterologist and undergo further tests and treatment.I hope this answer helps you mother to get a proper diagnosis and treatment