Should cardiac pacemaker be removed so I can exercise without pain?

Patient

Q: Hello, forgive me for the uncertain category.

I am a 21 year old male with a pacemaker fitted for complete heart block. Without the pacemaker my pulse is in the region of 40 beats per minute.

However I experience terrible pain with my pacemaker with only the slightest exertion or exercise. This is actually my second pacemaker, as the last one almost broke through the skin after me taking up swimming.

Now I try and just do simple body weight exercise, but the problem persists and is very painful around the pacemaker site, after only a few push ups.

My question is, do you think it would be best for me to get the pacemaker removed, as my pulse does rise as normal with exercise, and I have gotten it to over 100 before the pacemaker. Or do you think it is better to do no exercise and keep the pacemaker fitted? Or perhaps there is another option?

Thanks for your time.

Liam

Doctor