Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Should I be concerned with a bloody bowel movement movement

Should I be concerned with a bloody bowel movement movement

Patient: Should I be concerned with a bloody bowel movement movement 3 hours eating

Doctor: Hi.Read and understood your history about bloody bowel movement 3 hours after eating.Yes, this has to be worried.You mentioning other symptoms like pain, nausea, bloating etc would have helped me.Anyways.Blood in stool is indicative that something is not right.The probable causes are:-Infection of the intestines particularly the colon.-Piles or fissure, mass, ulcer .As a rule get a 5-day course of an antibiotic, metronidazole, probiotic, see the results.If the problem persists go for investigations of the stool, blood and urine; ultrasonography and colonoscopy with biopsy.This will give the final diagnosis and a plan for proper treatment