Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Should I be tested for diabetes?

Should I be tested for diabetes?

Patient: I’ve been experiencing frequent urination lately, or at least more frequent than what I used to. I’m a 17 year old that is overweight and have a history of diabetes in my family. I have had poor vision much like everyone in my family and have been experience headaches that seem to be related to this. I have also felt fatigued but have just been getting over a stomach flu. The frequent urination is usually after drinking a significant amount of water. Should I be worried and consider getting tested for diabetes?

Symptoms: Frequent urination, poor vision, headaches, fatigue

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.The symptoms of fatigue, headaches, poor vision may be due to many causes like anemia, la ck of nutrition, stress, thyroid dysfunction, sinusitis, vitamin deficiencies, anxiety, etc.Frequency of urination along with the other symptoms may be due to diabetes. Since you have a family history of diabetes, it is better to get yourself checked for the same. There is no harm in being extra cautious when it comes to health. I appreciate your awareness and concern.Increased urination is common when one increases the fluid intake, but since you have mentioned other symptoms as well, you may visit a physician and get your blood sugars checked. A fasting and postprandial sample of blood with a urine sample may be checked. Along with that blood counts, urine routine and microscopy and thyroid hormone tests may also be advised to find out on other causes for the above symptoms.Regards