Should I be worried about getting pregnant?

Patient

Q: Hi, I was wondering if you could help me? The situation is that I am on birth control and have been for 6 months without missing a day. I stopped my pill at the end of my pack in order to have a period, but after stopping my pill on the thurs we had sex unpretected on the sat morning before starting my period. I am currently on my period but should i be worried about that one day?

Doctor

A:   When taken properly, birth control pills are 98 to 99 percent effective, in preventing pregnancy with no additional precautions. Since you're got your periods, there is no risk for pregnancy.