Should I call doc regarding potential pregnancy even if urine test is negative?

Patient

Q: My husband and I had unprotected sex on day 13 of my June cycle. I had episodes of nausea and dizziness and bloating in early July, and did get my period on time, however it was 2 days instead of the normal 5. I took a home pregnancy test anyway, because I was experiencing symptoms. The test was negative. I am now 9 days late for my August period, and took a test last week that still showed negative. I am wondering whether I could be pregnant, and should call my doctor for a blood test? Please note that I have Lupus, and have been informed that I would be considered high risk. I'm not sure whether to call since my urine tests have been negative.

Symptoms:  Missing period, mild cramping, constipation
Doctor

A:   You did the right thing by taking a urine pregnancy test after missing your periods. They are upto 99 percent accurate if done correctly after a missed period. As the test is negative, I would suggest that you wait for another 2 weeks for the periods to start. Most women experience some variations in their menstrual cycle pattern once in a while. Generally no therapy is recommended as long as delay is of 3-4 weeks only and is not a regular feature. If after 2 weeks the periods don't start you may then consult your health care provider.
It was earlier thought that women with lupus should not get pregnant due to the potential risks to the mother and baby. But while pregnancy with lupus still carries its own set of risks, most women with lupus can safely become pregnant and have healthy babies. In fact 30 percent of women with lupus report an improvement in their symptoms.
Having said that, if you were to test positive, it would be absolutely right to contact your doctor immediately but unless the tests are positive there is absolutely no need for you to worry.