Should I get a tetanus shot?

Patient

Q: I stepped on a rusty horseshoe nail today I had a tetnis shot about 4 years ago should I go get another one the nail didn't go in deep as soon as I felt it break the skin I lifted my foot.

Symptoms:  No symptoms
Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

4 years is too much of a gap when dealing with a tetanus infection. Please see a Doctor and get the vaccination done. A gap of up to 1 year is usually okay when dealing with tetanus.

The vaccine will have antibodies that fight the disease as well and prevent it.

Hope this helps you. All the best.

Patient: Is it safe to wait till tomorrow to get it done?
Doctor: Thank you for the follow up. Waiting one day is alright but do get it as soon as possible.