Should I get checked for diabetes or am I being a hypochondriac? With opinion please!

Q: Hi, I'm a 21 year old male. I've found myself feeling incredibly tired all the time for the last year and no one has really been able to tell me why. I initially thought that it was due to having had glandular fever, however I had that checked and have never had it. I have also had my thyroid checked (and have not received my results, therefore I assume that it is fine). I used to have a very high metabolism (I wouldn't gain any weight, no matter how much I ate and had quite a heavy diet, a lot of fast food etc.). In the last two years, since going to university I had gained a lot of weight, however I am unsure as to whether my past has caught up with me, whether it's due to my lack of sport, or whether my diet has (how was it possible?) gotten worse.

I tend to drink a lot throughout the day and often am in need of a drink, especially as I eat. I'm not sure whether I would call it a dry mouth, but my breathing feels harder and I often feel parched. I get through about 2 to 4 pints during every meal and get through quite a few liters throughout the day.

Recently, in the last month or so, I've noticed that my eyes are very sticky in the morning and evening and that my vision gets a little worse in the morning and evening; whenever I feel tired. I thought that it was conjunctivitis and have been taking drops for it. I haven't been particularly good at taking them as instructed, but have taken them on average 2 to 3 times a day for the last week and nothing seems to have changed.

My tiredness is most annoying as I always seem very tired, however can never sleep at night, instead I seem to get hit with a huge tiredness in between meals. I believe that that's why I can't sleep at night, as I eat around 8 or 9 and that keeps me going for a while.

I seem to get numb legs, particularly my right leg, a decent amount, particularly when I sit in a lied down and legs on something position. It's fine, I put up with pins and needles every now and then and it's fine after that. This is what led me to look up the diabetes symptoms as it reminded me of the fact that diabetics can lose their legs and I was simply interested in how and why (not linked to me). I don't get any sores or boils on my feet.

Finally, I do go to the toilet a lot, especially to urinate, and often have trouble with dribbling at the end. That and I do get thrush a lot, and an irritated head of the penis. It never particularly reaches really irritating levels, but can be a problem that causes me to have to buy something like canesten. However for the last year or so, I make sure that I wash it a lot and through this it doesn't reach anything more than a level of a little irritation and a bit of a build up under the foreskin.

I don't particularly believe I am building up diabetic symptoms, however I would like a professional opinion. I'm currently traveling and going to find it quite hard to pop to the doctors, but can go in about 20 days time.

Finally, I have had cancer before and therefore get check ups every 4 months. They take my bloods to check for cancer related things, however it's something you may want to know as maybe they would also see signs of big problems such as diabetes? They were the ones that checked my thyroid. Thanks, WIll