Should I have an abortion if I used drugs

Patient

Q: I did two lines of cocain the night before I found out I was pregnant and drank heavily the month prior. Should I consider having an abortion?

Doctor

A:   Certainly the use of illicit drugs such as cocaine during pregnancy can cause complications and serious problems in the developing fetus and the newborn. The growth of the fetus is more likely to be inadequate, and premature births are more common.
Babies born to mothers who use cocaine often have problems, but whether cocaine is the cause of those problems is unclear. I would suggest you to stop immediately the use of illicit drugs and also alcohol and smoking. I would also recommend that you consult an ObGyn to evaluate the development of your baby and start taking pre natal vitamins and minerals. I wish you a successful pregnancy.