Should I have further tests to rule out diabetes if blood sugar was normal range 6-12 months ago?

Patient

Q: Dear Doctor, I have had several "symptoms" or conditions which I am unsure is connected to my having possible concerns that i may have diabetes. These conditions I have currently are (1) very early stage glaucoma (2) previous episode of Periorbital Cellulitis which came on acutely and dramatically and was hospitalised for in emergency overnight (3) positional vertigo the morning after trying out sport pistol shooting the night before and currently (4) burning sensation at the back of my left heel and intermittent tingling of the same foot. In the past, I have requested blood tests from my doctor, who has reported my blood sugar test is normal, therefore he has not proceeded to do a Glucose Tolerance Test. However, I am concerned from ALL the above symptoms and signs that I may have diabetes? Do you think so given my blood sugar has returned normal in the past, or would it still be necessary to have a GTT to investigate further, as I am concerned the above conditions are signalling untreated diabetes? Thank you Doctor

Symptoms:  (1) very early stage glaucoma for 10 years (2) previous episode of Periorbital Cellulitis 2 years ago which came on acutely and dramatically and was hospitalised for in emergency overnight (3) positional vertigo the morning after trying out sport pistol shooting the night before 3 weeks ago and currently (4) burning sensation at the back of my left heel and intermittent tingling of the same foot.
Doctor

A:   Hi
If your initial test of blood sugar is normal than there is no point in wasting money. But if you still suspicious, than go for HbA1c. It gives of last three months average of blood sugar
Hope this will help.

By measuring glycated haemoglobin (HbA1c), clinicians are able to get an overall picture of what our average blood sugar levels have been over a period of weeks/months.