Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Should I have My Lipoma Removed?

Should I have My Lipoma Removed?

Patient: Hi, Firstly I’m a female and 20yrs old. I have just recently noticed a bump on my mid lower back. Kind looks like swelling is soft and not painful about 8cm by 8cm I guess… I seen a doctor quickly the other day and she said that it was a Lipoma and not to worry. She didn’t seem interested in answering any questions I had and just told me to watch it. I’m wondering do these go away by themselves? If not should I see another doctor to look at getting it taken out rather then waiting till it gets bigger…? Bit unsure about it all. Thank you Amy

Doctor: Lipomas are BENIGN fatty tumors that may occur anywhere throughout the body. They are commonly found just below the skin . They are harmless but may grow to very large sizes and  do not resolve without surgical intervention. You may speak with a surgeon about having it removed. The surgical procedure is relatively simple and can be done on an out-patient basis. The recovery time will be short.