159 Physicians Online

Should I have surgery to repair my rotator cuff?

An MRI revealed a small tear of my rotator cuff. I am a seventeen year old baseball pitcher. My shoulder has hurt since I am 14 years old. I started seeing a physical therapist yesterday. I am very physically active. I would like to join the military one day if I am not a professional baseball player and want to be able to do all of the physical demands of basic training. Should I have surgery now, at 17? Thanks

Rotator cuff injuries usually respond well to conservative treatment as you are presently undergoing. Only severe injuries and those injuries that do not respond to conservative treatment require surgery.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

Dr. Suneel Sharman

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Kunaal Jindal

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA