Should i seek a concerta perscription?


Q: I've always had trouble focusing/paying attention in school. I've made it to University without any prescription for ADD medication. I would like to consult a doctor but I feel like they'll assume I'm just trying to get my hands on "Study drugs". At what point is there a need vs. want?

Symptoms:  I have a hard time concentrating on work tasks. My brain wanders to a million things that aren't relevant to what I should be doing. Even when I remove distractions completely, I still struggle to stay focused.

A:   Hello,
Thanks for choosing "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.
The difference between normality and abnormality is ADD is decided by the presence of distress. If there is a distress the it is an abnormality. If you are able to cope up with your issues without any distress, then it should be left as such. But improving one's quality of life with the use of medicines is always recommended for patients of ADHD. I guess you should go and discuss these issues with your physician and if possible take your parents as well who can also give the history of your distractablity during childhood.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

Wish you good health!

Related Q&A

Q: My child is suffering from ADHD and he is hyperactive. He does not make any eye contact, does not listen to our comma...

Q: Can you can you take melatonin while taking narcotics

Q: How do I get a prescription for Desoxyn? I've never had insurance so. I've never been diagnosed with ADD. I've never...

Q: I've been diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder some 20 years ago. My main and complaint at the time and still is t...

Q: I need a prescription for desoxyn. In have tried every other ADHD med out there and nothing works as good. I have pts...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon