Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Should I take another dose of Ambien

Should I take another dose of Ambien

Patient: I’m 24 and started taking sidewall to help with my ADD issues.works great… till I’m ready to go to sleep. It’s impossible. I would only get 3-4 hrs of sleep in 3 days. After months of trying different things with my Dr she prescribed me Ambien 10mg. Usually works great but i took one at 10pm it’s now 2 am. Should I take another?

Symptoms: Wide awake

Doctor: Thank you for your question. We it is not recommend to take your Ambien beyond your prescribed dosage. Zolpidem (Ambien ) is reported to be habit forming, and we want prevent you from developing a dependency on this medication. It is possible that your dosage may need to be increased, but this needs to be done after a complete evaluation by your prescribing doctor. Furthermore, this particular event of sleeplessness could be an isolated event, and may due to the effects of your ADD medication dosage.Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com