Should I take antibiotics for prevention of strep throat?

Patient

Q: If my spouse is experiencing continual strep symptoms and is taking antibiotics should I also take the antibiotics as a preventative measure.

Doctor

A:   Antibiotics should not be taken as a preventive measure for strep infection because of high risk of development of antibiotic resistance by the organisms. However, the risk of receiving the infection can be reduced by taking necessary precautions like covering the mouth or face while sneezing or coughing, wash hands well and frequently, especially after nose blowing or sneezing and before food handling, avoid sharing utensils and disinfect shared objects frequently.