Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Should I take tussin or DM?

Should I take tussin or DM?

Patient: Had a fever and swollen glands 2 days ago, that’s all gone. Still have a wheezing cough but not getting anything up and out of my chest. Sinus drainage in throat. Any mucus I have seen is dark yellow, but not green yet. Can’t sleep through the night without cough spasms.

Symptoms: Coughing, some sinus drainage

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for choosing “Ask the Doctor” for posting your query.Your cough seems to be related to the postnasal discharge occurring from your sinus drainage. It irritates the pharyngeal mucosa and causes cough. However, the yellow colored mucus is most commonly caused by infections such as streptococcal throat infection, sinus infection or pneumonia. Antibiotics like amoxicillin, azithromycin or cefixime may be needed in case of infections. Antihistaminics like cetirizine or fexofenadine can help in reducing your sinus secretions. Cough suppressants like dextromethorphan can be given in case of non-infective dry cough.I would suggest you to visit your physician to get yourself properly examined and treated.Hope I am able to answer your concerns.Wish you good health!