Should I worry if my kid does not pee a lot?

Patient

Q: My son is now 14 months old, when he was born he had a swollen scrotum, his testicles had decended ok and it was mostly just fluid. The doctor re-assured us that the swelling would go down but could take up to 2 years to get back to normal. It seems now that is it about normal and at his 1 year check up I mentioned it to the doctor and he said not to worry about it. I've returned to work and my childcare provider is keeping him and another young boy the same age and finds that my son does not urinate as much as the other young boy in comparaison to how much my son is drinking. Not sure if its something I should be concerned about and not sure where to start researching?

Doctor

A:   The finding of the caregiver that your son pees much less than he drinks is very subjective. If it is indeed true that he does not pee as much as he drinks, then there should be some bloating or swelling. The volume (amount) of urine is more important, not the number of times a kid or a person pees. If you want to be sure, you can mention this to the pediatrician on your next visit, perhaps a urine test may be done. I hope this helps.