Should my kids be eating vitamins?

Patient

Q: I recently read that less than a third of the children in the U.S. take vitamins. Do you think more of them should? What’s the downside of not taking vitamins if kids are getting a balanced diet?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question.  When it comes to the health of our children, parents often are more concerned than their own health.
It is also easy to be confused.  Every month a new article appears that makes us feel like bad parents if our children our not receiving enough of miracle vitamin "X" or brain booster "y".  Unfortunately, the general public is not trained to identify if the data is derived from a well conducted study or a poorly conducted study.  The majority of studies related to dietary supplementation in children and adults are poorly conducted and conclusions should not be applied to the general population.
The best advise is to maintain a well balanced diet in accordance with the national food guide.  For otherwise healthy children, vitamin supplementaion is not necessary.