Should my mom visit a cardiologist or rather a psychiatrist?


Q: My mom (52 years old) has a pumping sensation in her left groin area, which proceeds to her left arm as well. The other day she was feeling nauseous (no vomiting) and fell unconcious for a few seconds. They took her to the emergency room where she was tested negative for all kinds of diseases. Can someone please advice me what is going on with her?

She is suffering with all kinds of symptoms for years now. 7 years ago she had a surgery for a discus hernia in the neck area. Since then she has been taking Xanax (one per day at night). She is a single person, no sexual life at all, generally with a pessimistic outlook at life.

Are all her troubles down to a psychical disorder? I am now really hopeless. She would not consider visiting a psychologist.

Thank you in advance,
A worried daughter

Symptoms:  Pumping sensation in the left groin area, speedy heartbeat at times, BP 120/80, tiredness, weakness, dizziness, signs of depression

A:   This question is currently in queue and will be answered shortly by one of our doctors. In the meantime you may browse our library of answered questions by clicking here.

Related Q&A

Q: I lost my medication en route to a remote island in the Bahamas. I am gone for one week. I was on 10 mg of Paxil. I...

Q: I forgot to bring my prescription medication- an antidepressant on my trip to the Bahamas. The drug is an SSRI calle...

Q: I started taking fluoxetine yesterday, I took 40ng yesterday and 20 today but forgot to check about things like Niqui...

Q: Hi, I am really struggling, I feel like I have become completely alone, because a new psychiatrist I saw has diagnose...

Q: Hi, I recently had more depression and went into insomnia, i consulted a doctor and he adviced me for a blood test. ...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon