Should toenail be removed?

Q: I dropped a 2.5 lb can on my big toe from about 4 feet. After the blood was cleaned up I found that there is a good size crack in my toenail down by the cuticle. It has been about a month and my toe throbs like a tooth ache. Should the nail be removed?

Symptoms:  Pain in big toe
Should toenail be removed?-1

A:   Thank you for your question. The pain you are experiencing in your toe may be due to the trauma it sustained or it may be due to a developing infection. The crack in your toenail is indeed large and you will need to have this evaluated by a doctor. It may need to be cleaned with antiseptic fluid and dressed. The nail may grow and no need will for it to be removed will be required. However, if the crack is impeding the growth of the new nail, it may need to be removed. Over a period of 3-4 months, the nail will regrow and heal.

Thank you for consulting