Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Should we keep using condoms?

Should we keep using condoms?

Patient: I have small whites spots just under the base of my helmet. I have had sex, but had them before. I understand that they are supposedly perfectly common. My girlfriend and I have been going out for a year and have been having sex for nearly as long. We are both responsible people and have been using condoms from the beginning. She has always questioned the small spots and visiting this site has giving us both some relief! We are very much in love and about three months ago she started taking the Pill, not only to ease her period pain, but for extra protection. We have been wondering if we should bother using a condom any more. We both trust each other and haven’t had sex with anyone else. She was a little worried that these white spots are infections. Are they? And also is it a good idea to stop wearing a condom?

Doctor: Now, as you say, a lot of guys have tiny white ‘blobs’ on their penises. These are not anything to do with infection, so there’s no danger that you’d infect your girlfriend with anything.Should you give up condoms? If she’s on the pill, and you’re both completely faithful to each other – as you say – then there doesn’t seem much point in continuing to use them.I wish your relationship well.