Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Shoulder and chest pain for five days.

Shoulder and chest pain for five days.

Patient: I am a 22-yo female and, since five days ago – right after recovering from the flu – , I’ve had a really bad pain that goes from my left shoulder (mostly the anterior portion) to right under my left armpit, causing also pain right next to my left breast. I have been overall able to move my shoulder/arm normally, but deep breathing has become painful (laughing and coughing was too, but these two seem to be getting better). The pain gets worse in the morning, and it seems somewhat transient too since, for example, yesterday I felt it very strongly in a specific spot on my back (right behind the shoulder) and now I don’t.I don’t take any medications on a regular basis, never had any major health issues, and so far have been dealing with the pain with ibuprofen, heat, and Flexall.

Symptoms: Shoulder pain, chest pain, painful deep breathing, more pain in the morning.

Doctor: HelloWelcome to Ask The Doctor.Following are the possibilities:1. Muscular chest pain developed due to coughing2 . Pleuritis as a result of viral flu that you had got3. Pleural Effusion.I would advise you to get a chest xray and ECG done. If they are absolutely normal, then you would require treatment for Muscular pain.I would advise you following:1. To do hot fomentation of the affected area.2. To apply Diclofenac gel locally.This pain should resolve in 5-7 days.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy.