Shoulder, back and fingers pain: Is it time for a physical?

Patient

Q: I have occasional pain in my right shoulder and down my back to my fingers and my legs. sometimes the pain has me where i can hardly get out of bed. in 2007 i could barely walk or move without being in pain. i take over the counter pain meds like advil and tylenol but the relief is only temp. can you please me understand. i haven't been to a doctor in a long time, is it time for a physical.

Doctor

A:   I strongly recommend a comprehensive, not only physical but a lab assessment in order to rule out possible causes for your symptoms. This evaluation should be done by an specialist: a rheumatologist.