Shoulder Blade pain when weight on chest

Patient

Q: I recently joined wrestling and when someone gets on top of me I get a pain in the bottom of my right shoulder blade. Do you know why or how to fix this problem? It's only when people are laying on me usually and doesn't hurt if someone puts pressure on my back. I guess sometimes the way I move my arm also causes a little ache but its not that big of a deal.

Symptoms:  Shoulder blade pain
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. The pressure being placed is probably pressing your shoulder blade into your trapezius muscle which is eliciting pain. Unfortunately, this pain may indicate that you could be prone to an injury in this are so you should exercise caution. What we recommend is that you have your doctor examine the area to make sure you do not have current injuries in this area of your upper back, which will require you to take some time away from wrestling.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com