Shoulder MRI results: Tear of supraespinatus tendon

Patient

Q: Mri duagosis "full thickeas tear anterior aspect of distal supraspinatus tendon. No evidence of retraction". what treatment options are there?

Doctor

A:   What this report means is that you had an injury(tear) of one of the three tendons of the Rotator Cuff which is a group of tendons that support the shoulder. These tendons can be injured during weight lifting, when playing sports with a lot of throwing, after repetitive use over a long time or suffer degenerative changes with the aging process. The treatment of a torn labrum depends on the type of tear that has occurred. Most tears do not require surgery; however, if you are having persistent symptoms, meaning pain, despite more conservative treatments, surgery may be consider as an option. It is very important to complete a intensive and comprehensive Rehabilitation program after the surgery to ensure that you strengthen and balance the muscles around the shoulder joint giving  stability, improve range of motion, prevent scarring as the ligaments heal and teach you which movements and / or activities you should avoid.

Guest: large full thickness supraspinatus tendon tear extending into the anterior infraspinatus tendon will this require surgury
Guest: there is a 3.6 centimeters of tendon retraction