Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Shoulder Pain After Football Game

Shoulder Pain After Football Game

Patient: My arm is hurting in the shoulder area. I get pain when i fully extend and raise it. What do you think it is, and is there an excercise to relieve it?

Symptoms: Pain when raised, pain when extended.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. You may have sustained an injury to the rotator cuff of your shoulder. This may be a minor injury which will resolve on its own with minor treatment such as rest, applying ice to the affected area, and refraining from strenuous activity for about two weeks. However, if your pain is increasing in severity along wit decreased range of motion, we strongly recommend that you have your doctor examine your shoulder along with have diagnostic x rays performed in order to assess the severity of this shoulder injury.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com