x
Browse
153 Physicians Online

Question:

Shoulder pain after hearing a popping noise.

I was getting up from the floor where I had been laying and my shoulder kind of popped, It hurt really bad and I was unable to move it for a few seconds, it felt really numb and weak. a few seconds after I could move it but it was still weak, but it kind of went back to normal after a few days with just a little ibuprofen and ice and whatnot. Sometimes it would pop or crack as I used it after that incident. Just now, I was getting out of bed to use the bathroom and it happened again. what is this and do I need to go in to see a doctor, or is it something like a sprain that will go away but I just need to be more careful for a while?

Answer:

The likely cause of your shoulder pain could be caused by an impinged tendon or nerve, or an injury to the rotator cuff. Usually rest, ice packs and pain-killers are enough to treat the pain. I would advise you to continue what you are doing and if the pain does not subside with these measures, you may have to visit a doctor for a complete physical examination of the shoulder. X-rays may not be helpful in the diagnosis and MRI may be indicated in severe cases of pain.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

Dr. Suneel Sharman

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Kunaal Jindal

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA