Shoulder pain after Laprascopic surgery

Patient

Q: Earlier today I had laparoscopic surgery to remove my right tube. I was 3-4 weeks pregnant in the tube, now I'm having sharp pains in my shoulder, can the two be related and what can I do about it?

Doctor

A:   The two can be related! During laparoscopic surgery carbon dioxide is introduced into the abdomen to allow better visualization for the surgeon. The carbon dioxide can irritate the nerves that innervate the diaphragm ( one of the main muscles in breathing). The diaphragm shares some of the same nerves as the skin over the shoulder. Therefore, diaphragm irritation sometimes cause shoulder pain after laparoscopy.