Shoulder pain and what to do with it

Patient

Q: I had a rotator cuff injury back in 1989 and had surgery to repair it. The surgery included repairing a torn tendon and an acromoiplasty too. I've been doing fine with proper therapy right away and a regimen of swimming and weights over the years. Just 2 weeks ago, I was doing some weight lifting exercises and my should has been sore with sometimes sharp and sometimes dull pain - with nerve tingling stretching to my hand. It's gotten better - but still sore. The nerve tingling has lessened. I have been resting it - I tried to go back to very light weights and it seemed to reinjure it. So I am doing no weight lifting right. What's the best treatment? I don't want a frozen shoulder so I need to stretch it - I guess - but I don't want to make the injury worse too. What do you recommend?

Symptoms:  Sometimes sharp pain with shoulder movement; sometimes dull pain; can't sleep on the shoulder; nerve tingling to the hand - sometimes shooting and painful.
Doctor