Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Shoulder pain, can’t ease it

Shoulder pain, can’t ease it

Patient: I am having shoulder pain and nothing I do will ease it. I was woken up by the pain at 4am. I have tried ibuprofen, paracetamol, Bengay, heating pads and hot showers. What can I do?

Symptoms: Pain in the shoulder, radiating into neck.

Doctor: HelloWelcome to Ask The Doctor.You seem to be suffering from Severe Muscular Spasm.I would advise you to get a X-r ay Cervical spine to rule out any disc prolapse.For muscular pain i advise following:1. A combination of pain killer and muscle relaxant containing Diclofenac and Thiocholchiside.2. To do hot fomentation of the affected area.3. To apply Diclofenac ointment locally.4. To get physiotherapy done particularly Ultrasonic heat massage.Your pain would start getting better in 5 days.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy.