Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Shoulder Pain with Mild Scoliosis.

Shoulder Pain with Mild Scoliosis.

Patient: For about a month now i have had a pain in my right shoulder neer my shoulder blade. It produces a deep burning sensation and other times a sharp pinching. The skin above it also feels irritated and ichy but there are no signs of external damage and i can’t recall any injury to my back or shoulder. Also, when i apply pressure it sends a slight shooting pain up my neck and stops at what feels like my inner ear. Three years ago it was suggested to be that I may have mild scoliosis as my spine is slightly squint and i have a slight hump on my right side over the shoulder blade when i bend forward. I was wondering if these may be connected as I have recieved no treatment.

Doctor: Your shoulder pain could be caused by an impinged nerve or tendon, rotator cuff injury or due to the mild scoliosis. If rest, ice, and painkillers don’t help you feel better, I would advise further investigations by your doctor. Physical examination and x-rays/CT scan may be helpful in the diagnosis of the shoulder pain. Treatment options depend on the cause with physical therapy, medication and rest being the primary therapy and joint injections and surgery reserved for more severe cases.