Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Shoulder Surgery Decsision

Shoulder Surgery Decsision

Patient: I have had multiple dislocations of my shoulder and developed a very large hill sachs lesion. I had a surgery 7 months ago it was a soft tissue tightening surgery (Bankart repair). Where the surgeon anchored my capsule tighter. One surgeon suggests a latarjet procedure and another suggests putting an anchor in the lesion and secureing to top the instability. Have done research on both surgeries just need an outside opinion thanks

Doctor: There are several surgeries that can be performed to repair recurrent shoulder dislocation. A Bankart procedure is one s uch surgery. Though recurrent dislocation after repair is possible, if you have had dislocation since this procedure you should have your shoulder examined for multi-directional instability which can occur in diseases such as Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. Multi-directional instability is unlikely to be cured by surgeryThe Bristow-Latarjet procedure is another surgery that can be done to repair recurrent dislocations. It is particularly useful when a large Hill-Sachs lesion exist as well. Perhaps this would be the best procedure given your particular situation. Again, this procedure will not correct recurrent dislocations that occur as a result of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome.