Sick and tired of the pain

Patient

Q: Right shoulder pain?? Was told that it was frozen shoulder.

Symptoms:  I have been suffering from right shoulder pain for past five years. Pain seems to be worse at night. Saw do cot last year was told it was frozen shoulder. Gave me Norco and gave me exercises to do to help shoulder. Well didn't work. Seems as if past couple of months pain is getting worse. Even through the day. Work in lab something as simple as a PKU is very painful for me to do.pain tend to shoot down my arm. Pushing off of something hurts .Writing even bothers me sometimes.
D
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. The pain that you are experiencing seems to be impinging nerves that supply the muscles of your arm as well. This would account for the sharp pains that shoot down your arm. Adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder) is a condition which results in decreased range of motion and pain within the shoulder joint. This can be treated with physical therapy and stretching techniques along with steroid injections into the shoulder join to alleviate some of the inflammation and pain. In more severe cases, surgery may be indicated to relieve this stiffness. We recommend that you follow up with your doctor to determine what the best treatment option will be for you. In the meantime you can continue to use your shoulder joint in activities that are tolerated. The more you try to keep the joint moving, the better it will be in maintaining the range of motion. You may also benefit from applying a warm heating pad to assist in loosening the muscles and controlling the pain.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com