Sick on right side of head at neck along with dizziness

Q: Can I have an ear infection that is not visible by ENT visual inspection? I have fullness and pressure in ear, neck, jaw. Neck and under chin, right side feels tight, swollen and hard but it doesn't seem to be visible from outside. I have chills and hot flashes. I feel sick in the neck. Dizzy, Off balance and nausious. Worst in the morning. ENT says I should go to dentist to see about Jaw issues. I have to root canals that I want endodontis to check to see if they have failed. Nothing seems to be showing up in blood, etc. But yet I feel so sick! What can this be? Comments?

A:   While you may have a ear infection which is not showing changes to the ear drum and thus does not show physical signs the other symptoms like loss of balance, stiffness around jaw are symptoms which are concerning.This may be due to the teeth issues you have or some kind of jaw pathology ( ie temporomandibular joint).However if you are also having symptoms like visual disturbances and headaches i would suspect Temporal arteritis which is condition which can be dangerous and needs immediate treatment. You can get your ESR and C Reactive protein levels checked just in case. All the best.