x
Browse
199 Physicians Online

Question:

Sickle Cell Anemia

If someone has sickle cell anemia, does that mean the previous generation had it? Or does it skip generations?

Answer:

Not necessarily, for a person to have Sickle cell Anemia, certainly there must be a presence of the sickle cell gene in both parents. If only one of the parents have the gene, another condition known as sickle cell trait would develop.
Therefore in the previous generation, surely there would be a presence of the gene but the new partner must also carry the gene to cause the genetic condition. I hope I cleared your doubt.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

Dr. Suneel Sharman

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Kunaal Jindal

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA