Sickle Cell Anemia

Patient

Q: If someone has sickle cell anemia, does that mean the previous generation had it? Or does it skip generations?

Doctor

A:   Not necessarily, for a person to have Sickle cell Anemia, certainly there must be a presence of the sickle cell gene in both parents. If only one of the parents have the gene, another condition known as sickle cell trait would develop.
Therefore in the previous generation, surely there would be a presence of the gene but the new partner must also carry the gene to cause the genetic condition. I hope I cleared your doubt.